Mobile mechanic SCAM

Friday, January 2, 2015

07/14/2013

There are numerous articles out there on the web, newspapers, and television about mobile mechanic scams. Now this topic has stirred up a lot of debate and discussion on forums and chat rooms. Not to mention amongst the mobile mechanics themselves. However, I dont think these articles are entirely true. Most of the time the news is fabricating the story or looking for that one bad mechanic out of countless good mechanics.

I read some of these articles, and I must say, Im disappointed. They really make us mechanics who are trying to make an honest living look real bad. In fact, one of the articles I read was written by a mechanic. He was giving insane advice to the readers about not trusting a mechanic that doesnt have specialized test equipment like labscopes, fuel injection testers, gas analyzers, etc... You may be thinking: "well hes right". No, he isnt. Thats really not the type of work mobile mechanics do. That is more something that gets done in an auto repair shop.

See, the fact is, most mobile mechanics are genuine mechanics who are unemployed and trying to make ends meet, or are doing it part-time for extra cash each week. Just because a mobile mechanic shows up to your house without those specialized equipment, doesnt mean they are not legitimate. 

That being said, here is a warning from AAA that I partially agree with:

  1. Get any mobile mechanics address, and google them for complaints.
  2. Make sure they have a truck full of professional tools, not just some wrenches and screwdrivers. Legitimate  mechanics carry several thousand dollars worth of tools and equipment.      
  3. Ask if they take credit cards: most legitimate mechanics do. Plus you can dispute a bad repair on a credit card. With cash, its gone.
  4. Never pay cash in advance for parts.
The first point is 100% agreeable. I do the same thing when someone calls me. I google their address to see if its real. There was one time when I went to an address that didnt even exist. How? The person gave me an address and gave me the cross street. The address was fake and the person never picked up my phone calls. That was the last time that ever happened to me because I started looking up everyone that called. Just to verify who they are and if the address really exist.

The second point I almost completely agree. If a mobile mechanic shows up to your house, and all they have is a ratchet set and some wrenches, send them away. Real mechanics do have thousands of dollars worth of tools. I always bring at least my 27" 7 drawer tool box packed full of tools with me whenever I go to a customers house. I also have at least a 3 ton jack with me, as well as 2 jack stands and some power tools. I do bring some specialized equipment, like my power probe 3 and a basic scan tool. Some will show up with much more tools and equipment.

The third point I partially agree with. However, like I said previously, most mobile mechanics are just out of work technicians trying to make ends meet. They dont always have the ability to accept credit cards. The part I dont agree with is the word "most". For me, it should be "some". Part of being a mobile mechanic is there isnt any overhead expenses. When you accept credit cards, that becomes an overhead expense. Accepting credit cards isnt free. So dont turn a mechanic away because they dont accept credit.

The fourth point, I say use your discretion. Like I said previously, mobile mechanics dont have overhead. Which means they dont stock up on parts and supplies. Yes, you might get the occasional mechanic who actually does have your parts, or your oil and oil filter, but that is rare. If they tell you they need parts and supplies, you really only have two options. Go with them to get the stuff, or get it yourself before they get there. A mobile mechanic is not going to fish out his own money to buy your parts and start a repair. 

In fact, there is something that I do and tell people before I make an appointment. I charge for my time. Plain and simple. If you call me to come and look at your car, even if you know what it is, I have to charge a diagnostic fee. Repair shops and dealers charge $125-$200/hr for diagnosis.  I charge $75 just to show up and look at your car. I also have a promotion on craigslist where if you mention my ad, you get $10 off your diagnosis. Then, just like repair shops and dealers, if you have me do the repair, I will deduct the diagnostic fee from the final price. This is an upfront charge that you must pay before the mechanic looks at your car.

Even with all of this talk, there is no surefire way to trust anyone. Lets face it, you met them on the internet. Lets go another step forward. You even have to be careful when you bring your vehicle into an actual repair shop. The mechanic who shows up to your house and doesnt have any credentials might be more trustworthy and a real good mechanic compared to one that does have those credentials. It all comes down to you and your discretion. Youre an adult. You had to use your discretion in life when it came to meeting new people. 

Lets hear what you all have to say. Please comment and talk about this.

Thanks for reading, and be safe,

        Cesar

Stop & Fix Mobile Mechanics


Related Posts by Categories

0 comments:

Post a Comment